What will happen if the computer crashes, which entails the loss of the iTunes library? Or do you need to configure a new computer without a saved copy of your music? If the iPod is synchronized with the iTunes library and it stores all your music (or most of it), then there is no need to waste time searching for discs and re-importing them.
This article describes how to manually transfer music from iPod to iTunes without using additional software. This method works only on personal computers with Windows. Mac OSX does not allow you to view music files in the Finder.
- Connect your iPod to a Windows computer (preferably XP or Vista)
- Make sure you can view hidden files. In Vista, open any folder and click on the Organize button on the taskbar. Click on “Folders” and “Search Options,” then select “Show Hidden Files and Folders.” In XP, open Windows Explorer, select "Tools" in the taskbar, then open "Folder Options." Open the “View” tab, in the “Hidden files and folders” section, click on “Show hidden files and folders”.
- Open “My Computer” in XP Explorer, or “Computer” in Vista Explorer.
- Select iPod.
- Locate the music folder by going to the iPod_Control folder, then Music.
- Copy and paste the entire music folder to your computer. Make sure you remember the place where the music was copied. In Vista Explorer, all file names, song and album names will be displayed, and in XP Explorer or an earlier version of the OS, only file names will be displayed (for example, ХХУУPZ.mp3).
- Launch iTunes.
- Remove and disconnect the iPod by pressing the eject button in iTunes.
- In iTunes, click on "File", "Add Folder to Library."
- Go to the folder where the copied music is stored.
- Click OK to add the songs to the iTunes library. This may take some time if there is a lot of music, so be patient.
Tips & Warnings:
There is a known issue with the "Add Folder to Library" feature. To get around it, drag and drop the music folder into iTunes.
Part 1. How to transfer music from iPod to computer without losing any data (all iPod devices)
If you are looking for ways to transfer music from iPod Touch or other iOS devices to a new computer, here we present first of all a quick and effective way to meet your goal - using third-party software is the best solution. There is an array of these softwares and you can choose one of them depending on your requirements. Here we recommend TunesGo, as well as music transfer, the software also comes packed with additional features.
I know what you can and cannot do with this method:
- iTunes cannot be used to import songs until the iTunes library from the old computer was transferred to the new one earlier. If you connect your iPod to a new PC, there will be a request to erase everything on your iPod.
- Most third-party software allows you to transfer files from all iPods and other iOS devices, including iPod classics.
- Although iTunes will not be used directly when using third-party software, most management programs still need to install iTunes on your computer in order to access communication services. But you do not need to install iTunes with TunesGo.
- ID3 tags of transmitted music can be fixed by software which can make you more quickly find your favorite music. In addition, you can transfer part or all of the music with needs.
How to Sync iPod to a New Computer with TunesGo
Wondershare TunesGo is one of the best software that allows music as well as other media transfer between iOS, iTunes and PC devices. Using software, you can transfer music from iPod to a new computer without risk of data loss, we will do iPod touch, for example, to display detailed steps.
Part 1: Add Music to iPod Classic with PC and iTunes
To add music from my computer to the classic iPod, I would like to advise you this program - dr.fone - Transfer (IOS). This gives you the ability to add music from iTunes and PC to the iPod classic, iPod Classic 2, iPod classic 3, iPod Shuffle, iPod Nano and iPod Touch immediately. This will save song information and fix ID3 tags - like ratings, playback counter, will be added to your classic iPod, which allows you to quickly find your wanted music. Surprisingly, it never deletes previous songs on your iPod classic when adding music to them. At the same time, if the music file has an incompatible format, this program will also convert it to the iPod classic format. Quality remains unchanged, and there is no loss in transmission.
dr.fone - Transmission (IOS)
Transfer music from computer to iPod / iPhone / iPad without iTunes
- Transfer, management, export / import of music, photos, videos, contacts, SMS, applications, etc.
- Backup music, photos, videos, contacts, SMS, applications, etc. to a computer and restore them easily.
- Transfer music, photos, videos, contacts, messages, etc. from one smartphone to another.
- Media transfer files between iOS and iTunes devices.
- Fully compatible with firmware 7 firmware 8 firmware 9 firmware 10 firmware 11 and IPOD.